What can you do yourself?
Neighborhood prevention naturally starts with precautions that you can take yourself.
Good locks speak for themselves, but also think about marking valuable possessions or leaving one or more lights on when you leave the house in the evening. As mentioned, the purpose of neighbourhood prevention is that everyone pays more attention and is more alert to suspicious situations. For example, make agreements with the neighbours that you keep an eye on when they go on vacation. Of course it is important to report immediately; suspicious situations to the police. And if you have unfortunately become the victim of a criminal offence, always make a declaration of it.
Burglars Use This Sneaky Trick To Find Out If You’re Home Or Not
Unfortunately, thieves have found another devious way to find out if you’re home.
Last summer, and also the previous summer, we urged each other not to report on social media that you are going on holiday.
After all, burglars could see via Facebook or Instagram that you have been away for a long time and can make loot. However, there is now a new way for burglars to find out if you are away from home for a longer period of time.
You don’t always get this cunning trick and (for others) barely visible
Adhesive tape over the keyhole
Adhesive tape over the keyhole
It is increasingly common for burglars to use adhesive tape to find out whether you are away for a long (er) time or not. In this sneaky trick, a very small piece of tape is stuck over the keyhole.
While you can clearly see the tape if you are close and pay attention, older people are more likely to overlook it.
When burglars see that the tape has been removed, they can kind of gauge how long you’ve been away. If the tape is left on for a long time, the thieves will know that that person has not been home for some time. In this way they can estimate which persons are often away from home, on holiday or which are not.
Consider the following questions;
• Do you always close windows and doors, even if you just have to leave for a quick shopping? (No)
• Do you ever leave the garage door open when you just have to leave with your car, bicycle or scooter? (Yes)
• Do you open the door in the evening if you don’t expect anyone, but a friendly person is at your door? (Yes)
• If you are going to collect money for a collector, do you always leave the door a bit open? (Yes)
• Are you alert only for the night to close your home for fear of burglaries? (Yes)
• Have you ever been busy in your garden on one side of the house and is the back door or garage / barn door open out of your sight? (Yes)
• When you leave, do you ever leave windows on the first floor or a skylight open because burglars only enter below? (Yes)
• Is it possible to leave your bike or scooter unlocked in front of your home at night? (Yes)
• Are scammers always immediately recognizable by their shady appearance? (Yes)
If you give the answer to more than 3 of these questions, you are more likely to become a victim of a crime!
With good lighting you don’t make it easy for thieves
Burglars love darkness
As the days get shorter, the number of burglary increases. Burglars prefer to work in the dark to remain unseen. If a house is not illuminated at night, a burglar knows that nobody is at home. In addition, it is easier for a burglar in an unlit house to take action unseen. The solution seems simple and it is: good lighting . An illuminated environment scares thieves and prevents burglary.
Lighting with a time switch already makes a huge difference. Do not use a small light to make sure you are at home. Burglars can see through that. But, for example, also leave a lamp on the top floor. In short, make sure that the house makes an inhabited impression .
Good outdoor lighting is also important, especially with doors that are visible and accessible from the public road. The outdoor lamp at the front door should illuminate the face of the visitors. This way you can make a better assessment of whether or not to open the door. It does not necessarily have to be bright lighting. A limited but uniform illuminance usually suffices.
Good lighting also plays a major role in the chance of being caught after a burglary. Good light provides a better description of the burglar. Most of the red-handed arrests by the police are due to rapid alarms via the number 112 in combination with a good description. So lamps also make a world of difference in this case.
Look for more tips to prevent a burglary
Don’t give thieves a chance!
• If you decorate your house with carnival flags and the like, that is a clear signal to burglars that you are celebrating carnival. Then make sure that someone keeps an extra eye on things.
• Pretend you are at home. Don’t tidy up the house, but leave cups and plates on the counter and the dining table for example. Have someone clean up the mail and have a car in the driveway. Use time switches on your lighting.
• Make it difficult for the burglar. Good hinges and locks are important. Make sure you always close everything properly. Even if you are away for a moment. Turn the key at least once and remove the key. Do not leave steps such as clicks and ladders outside. Place outdoor lamps, for example with a motion sensor: burglars do not like to work in a lit place.
• Place valuables or car keys out of sight of passers-by. Do not stick a note on the door that you are not there for a while. Do not attach an address label to your key. Don’t hide a key outside your house. Doormats and flower pots are not secret places.
• Record details and call! Together we see and hear more. Of course, the police pay attention to strange and suspicious situations in your neighborhood. As you naturally do. Do you hear or see anything unusual? A strange car, a person on the lookout or another situation that you do not trust? Record details such as appearance, clothing, license plate, brand and color, and call the police immediately. In case of emergency or red-handed, you call 112 and 0900-8844 otherwise. In this way we make a fist against domestic burglary.
• Burgled or made an attempt? Always make a declaration. The police can then initiate an investigation and conduct more targeted surveillance. Your arrested suspect may be prosecuted. You can make a declaration by making an appointment via 0900 – 8844.
• For more information, visit the following sites: For tips on securing your home, visit www.politiekeurmerk.nl/preventietips. For more prevention tips, go to www.politie.nl/ onderwerpen/woninginbraak.html. On www.politie.nl you can see under ‘my neighborhood’ how many burglaries have been committed in your neighborhood.
• For more information, visit the following sites: For tips to secure your home, visit https:// www.politiekeurmerk.nl/preventietips/ For more prevention tips, go to https://www.politie.nl/ mijn-buurt you can see under “my neighborhood how many burglaries have been committed in your neighborhood.
• You can easily report defective street lighting via the Buitenbeter app https:// www.buitenbeter.nl/
• These notifications automatically end up with the right authorities.
Please give your attention to the information below:
• Put in bicycles if possible
• Secure a bicycle (possibly with several locks) to a fence, lamppost, etc., so that the bicycle cannot be lifted
Often when a bicycle theft is reported, the frame number / serial number of the bicycle is not known to the owner. You can, for example, record the data in a digital bicycle registration card. This can be downloaded via More Tips
- You can easily report defective street lighting via the Buitenbeter app https://www.buitenbeter.nl/
- These notifications automatically end up with the right authorities.
Please give your attention to the information below:
- Put in bicycles if possible
- Secure a bicycle (possibly with several locks) to a fence, lamppost, etc., so that the bicycle cannot be lifted
Often when a bicycle theft is reported, the frame number / serial number of the bicycle is not known to the owner. You can, for example, record the data in a digital bicycle registration card. This can be downloaded via www.politie.nl/binaries/content/assets/politie/algemeen/onderwerpteksten/folders-en-downloads/fietsregistratie.pdf
Shut down cars
During the tour of the neighborhood through the neighborhood, it is regularly observed that cars are not closed. The neighborhood records alert the owners to close it off. This way it is not made easier for the burglar. Be alert and remove all valuables (such as bags, laptop and navigation systems) from your vehicle.
Break-ins in cars especially the more expensive cars, radio, navigation systems and airbags, mostly with keyless entry cars prevention, tip
: see this website.